Trump to extend immigrant protections in exchange for wall funding: reports


President Trump is expected to propose a deal Saturday that would bring an end to the government shutdown — with the condition that he get funding for a wall along the southern border, according to reports.

In exchange for $5.7 billion for the barrier from Congress, Trump will offer to extend protections for immigrants, Axios reported.

Immigrants known as “Dreamers” would be protected for another three years, Bloomberg reported. Those immigrants, previously covered by the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, came to the U.S. as kids and have marked a flashpoint in the debate on immigration.

Trump is expected to offer a similar extension for people living in the U.S. under Temporary Protected Status, which was granted to thousands of people whose native countries were hit with natural disasters and political turmoil.

Vice President Mike Pence and Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and senior advisor, reportedly brokered the deal during recent meetings with Dems in Congress.

Supporters say the offer will show that Trump is willing to negotiate after weeks of bitter exchanges with Democrats, who have adamantly opposed funding a border wall.

Prior to his scheduled 3 p.m. announcement of the expected deal, Trump told reporters that he hopes House Speaker Nancy Pelosi changes her mind about wall funding. He blamed the “radical left” for keeping the Democrat from making a deal.

“I hope that Speaker Pelosi can come along and realize what everybody knows: walls work,” he said. “‘She’s under total control of the radical left.”

Saturday marked the 29th day of the partial government shutdown, which began after House Democrats refused to include funding for a border wall in the budget for nine federal agencies along with a number of smaller offices.