Mookie Betts plans to make Red Sox sweat over huge contract


Mike Trout ended his free agency speculation early, as the Angels outfielder is on the verge of signing a 12-year, $430 million deal to stay with Anaheim.

Don’t expect a similar move by one of the other young stars of the game in the AL East.

Mookie Betts told reporters Wednesday that he believes he’ll hit the open market when he’s able to be a free agent after the 2020 season.

“That’s exactly what I expect,’’ Betts said. “I don’t expect anything to happen till I’m a free agent.’’

Instead, Betts said he was “just going to go out and play. [I] can’t worry about the economics of the game right now.”

Those economics seem to be shaping up in Betts’ favor. Betts acknowledged that he turned down an eight-year, $200 million deal from the Red Sox following the 2017 season, as The Post’s Joel Sherman reported.

The Post also reported Boston has made several other attempts to keep Betts on a long-term deal, including this past offseason and Betts’ camp didn’t even come back with a counter-proposal following his MVP performance in 2018, when he led the Red Sox to a World Series title.

Instead, Betts has chosen to go year-to-year and is due to make $20 million this season.

Since Betts has turned down the Red Sox overtures, Bryce Harper landed the biggest free agent contract in history, when he signed with the Phillies last month on a 13-year, $330 million deal that Trout quickly dwarfed with the Angels.

Betts, 26, is the same age as Harper and a year younger than Trout. While he may not have the track record of Trout, he’s clearly been watching recent events and will be paid accordingly.

“I love it here in Boston,’’ Betts said. “It’s a great spot. I’ve definitely grown to love going up north in the cold. That doesn’t mean I want to sell myself short of my value.”

Asked what he valued, Betts said, “Just being treated fairly.”