Olivia Newton-John says her health battle has been challenging


Olivia Newton-John, who earlier this year denied reports she was close to dying, says the last six months spent battling cancer for the third time has been challenging, but that she’s “feeling good.”

“Those things are so stupid. Why not just go, ‘Here I am, and I’m fine!” she told People of the rampant rumors and why she immediately put out a statement about her health. “We just nipped it in the bud.”

She added, “My friends were calling and believing this stuff. I had to say, ‘You really think if it was that bad you wouldn’t know?’”

However, Newton-John, 70, has been in the middle of battling cancer for the third time after first being diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992.

She has also been recovering from a fractured pelvis, which hospitalized her in September during her 70th birthday. The fracture occurred due to a weakening of her bones, a side effect of the cancer, which spread to her sacrum, a bone in her lower back.

“There were all these things I was going to do for my birthday, but God had other plans,” she said.

She told the magazine that she’s coming to terms with her disease, which doctors say is incurable.

“Of course I had my moments, and my tears and all that, but I have a wonderful husband who supports me through those things,” she said.

Newton-John, who wed John Easterling in 2008, also said she’s enjoying not working and spending time at home.

“In feeling good, just getting stronger,” she said, adding she’s enjoying being a housewife for the time being. “I’m just living life and figuring out what’s next. I know there will be something.”

Newton-John’s upcoming memoir “Don’t Stop Believin’” comes out on March 12.